Thursday, July 21, 2011

Learning About Subtle Shades of Color

 
This is a fun activity that's inexpensive and easy to make. It's provides practice identifying subtle differences in shades of color. Plus, clothespins are great for building fine motor strength and dexterity.

Here's how I made them. It only took me about 20 minutes, and I didn't spend a cent on any new materials.
  • I got a few free color cards from the paint department at the home improvement store. Be sure to get two of each color.
  • Take one card from each pair and cut it up.
  • Glue the cut piece onto a clothespin (school glue worked just fine for me). 
  • Once it's dry, it's ready for the children to make the matches. 
  • I'm finding it's better to not overwhelm Little Brother (3) with too many colors at one time. Big Brother (5) likes the challenge of doing them all at once. He actually wants to create a color spectrum, so I will need to make a few more for him.
Thanks Jessica for this great idea!
Also, thanks Mom for picking up the color cards for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment